On Monday, 17 July, 2013, Michican State University (MSU), International Food policy Research Insitute (IFPRI), University of Ibadan, and the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development held a launch of the project, - “Guiding investments in sustainable intensification in Africa (GISAIA)." During the one-day event participants learned more about MSU's role in international agricultural research, an overview of the GISAIA project, the importance of fertilizer in ensuring food security, a new fertilizer called Urea Deep Placement (UDP), and the role social networks can play in spreading information about new farming technologies and farmer's decision to adopt. Presenters Andrew Dillon and Saweda Liverpool-Tasie reserved the last session to discuss plans for a randomized control trial (RCT) of UDP technology. The study will evaluate the profitability of the new method of fertilizer, with a special focus on determining the factors that influencing farmers' decision to adopt. The key research questions are:
- Does targeting based on social network and/or risk aversion farmer characteristics increase take-up of UDP?
- What is the average productivity effect of UDP use relative to non-UDP use among rice producers? Does this vary by farmer characteristics such as experience, gender, social networks or risk aversion?
- What substitution effects on other inputs or labor are attributable to UDP take-up?
- What is the average effect on profits of UDP take-up relative to non-UDP use among rice producers? Does this vary by farmer characteristics such as experience, gender, social networks or risk aversion?
- Do differences in initial targeting based on farmer social network and risk aversion characteristics increase diffusion within villages?
Baseline survey data collection for the RCT will commence in 2014, with results expected in 2016.
To learn more about the launch and the GISAIA project, check out the agenda, summary, presentations, etc., available below:
- Launch Summary Report (coming soon)
- Opening Remarks
- MSU and International Agricultural Research
- Overview of the GISAIA Research Project
- Fertilizer and Food Security/Agricultural Production in Nigeria
- Research and Development in Nigeria
- Fertilizer Profitability across Nigeria’s Diverse Agro Ecological Zones and Farming Systems
- UDP and Rice Production in Nigeria
- Social Networks, UDP and Rice Production in Niger State
- Randomized Control Trial for Evaluating the Profitability of UDP Technology
- NSSP Flickr (coming soon)