IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) / IFDC (International Center for Soil Fertility and Agricultural Development) seeks qualified candidates to fill the post of Research Assistant (RA) / Senior Research Assistant (SRA) within the Nigeria Strategy Support Program (NSSP).
The RA/SRA will provide research, capacity strengthening, and communications support to IFPRI's activities. The location of this position is Abuja and the duration is one year, subject to renewal. The incumbent will work under the over-all guidance of the Program Leader. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Performing various tasks involving data collection, data maintenance, and data analysis using statistical software and other computer programs.
- Conducting literature reviews and synthesis analysis.
- Assisting in the preparation of NSSP background papers, discussion papers, project research reports, donors’ reports, policy briefs and briefing notes for dissemination.
- Assisting senior researchers in managing IFPRI research programs or projects.
- Ensuring the integration of gender and environmental issues in the research and datasets.
- Assisting in the internal and external communication of NSSP activities and outputs.
- Assisting with the implementation of capacity-strengthening activities, as well as workshops, seminars, and conferences..
- Performing some administrative activities related to IFPRI research programs or projects.
- Bachelors/Masters degree or equivalent in economics, agricultural economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics or related fields.
- Experience working on research and policy issues related to agricultural development, poverty reduction, rural development, and natural resource management.
- Strong English writing skills and experience in preparing research reports and books for a research team.
- Familiarity with development policy issues in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with statistical software packages and internet-based systems such as SPSS and Stata.
- Working knowledge of communications and policy research dissemination skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and knowledge of Access.
- Self-motivated, innovative spirit and excellent interpersonal and team skills and the ability to work with colleagues from diverse cultures.
To apply: Qualified applicants are invited to send an application consisting of
- A letter of introduction that outlines the applicant’s educational background, relevant work experience, and major areas of professional interest
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae including the name, address, telephone, fax and e-mail contact addresses of three referees
- A writing sample
Please email all application materials to: Administrator, IFDC-Nigeria, email email@example.com
The submission deadline is 31 December 2010 at 5:00pm. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls are accepted.